Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Thirty...Typical Day

30 day challenge, Question #12: "Describe a typical day in your current life."

Let me start by saying there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, "typical" about my life!  ;)

Monday through Friday my alarm sounds off at 5:30 am. Most nights I will have just gone to sleep at 3:00-4:00 am so I am NOT very friendly in the mornings (although on Friday mornings I MUST be cheery and fun and upbeat...I do a radio show called "Betsy at the Movies" and I'm "on" for my peeps!)

After roughly ten to fifteen minutes of groaning and complaining about how tired I am, I force my legs to swing over the side of the bed and I shuffle my lifeless body to the shower. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....a shower ALWAYS refreshes me! My showers last anywhere from thirty to forty minutes (what?! Is that a long time?)

After my shower I make my way upstairs to the kitchen (the master bedroom is on the lower level of our home) for a freshly brewed hot cup of coffee that hottie hubby has made me (complete with Truvia and Bailey's {non-alcoholic} Irish creamer).

Between sips of coffee I wake my three boys (who are also not "morning" people) and they begin their routine of teeth brushing, hair combing, deodorant while I make beds and then get breakfast for them (don't get all excited and think I'm "mother of the year"...breakfast in my house is a Pop Tart or a bowl of Cheerios) and feed the dog.

While my boys are eating, I make my way back down the stairs and blow dry my hair, apply make up and get dressed....while listening to the news.

After washing the breakfast dishes (which really means placing them in the dishwasher) and wiping off the ktichen table, the boys and I pile up in the Trailblazer and I take Jackson to middle school, Benjamin to elementary school and the last stop is the high school where I drop off Hayden.

I make my way to my office, downtown....all of that activity takes place before 8:00 am! Whew!

I work between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm but I'm in sales and so my days are never the same. Sometimes I will have an appointment with a client that requires a meeting at 7:30 in the morning or after 5:00 pm....it depends on how I schedule my days.

Most days I spend my lunch hour at my parents home where I sit with my father. He suffers from progressive MS and is wheelchair bound. I also have a twenty-two year old sister that has special needs and she lives in the home too. However, all of that will change...yesterday my mother and I placed my sixty-two year old father into a nursing home (I'll post on that later).

After work I stop by my parents home to check in on my dad. My mother is usually home from teaching and I will often help her out by running to the grocery store or throwing in a couple of loads of laundry or getting supper put together for them.

When I return to my own home my hottie hubby usually has supper ready and I sit with the family to eat. We talk about our day, what is in store for the next day...sometimes we play word games or memory games at the table.

Dishes and cleaning up after supper are always a time I use to "unwind" (I love to clean, it's a stress relief for me). Often I will do a load of laundry or two (that's really all there ever is at a time as I keep up with the laundry on a daily basis). Some nights I have a Bible study or Awana (a Christian children's program that I help out with), praise and worship practice or one of the boys will have Boy Scouts or a baseball game. We are very rarely home in the evenings.

I will shower (again...I like to "wash" the day off before bed) between ten and eleven and then I climb into my bed and watch my shows that I record (Young & The Restless, Real Housewives, The Voice, Smash, Grey's Anatomy, American Idol, GCB, Once Upon A Time, The Doctors and The Office).

I read my Bible (or a devotional book, which is what I am reading now) and then I lay in my bed and my mind swirls with the events in my life.....I don't sleep well.....I have too much going on in my head.

And then 5:30 am comes around again......

1 comment:

  1. Wowzers. I have NO CLUE how you get through a day on so little sleep. I'd curl up in a ball and cry by 8 a.m., seriously!