Thursday, February 18, 2010

Girl Interrupted....

Five therapists...

Millions of dollars....(that might be a slight exaggeration, "slight" being the key word)

Trenches of tears, fits of anger, a hollowed heart and surfaced fears...

I've been revealing my innermost demons to Dr. "Can-You-Fix-Crazy" for several months...and three days ago I quit her. Just like that. I dropped her like she's hot (that's funny to me, and it fits the genre)!

"You did what?!!" might be what you are asking, at least that was hottie husbands reaction....
And I'll be honest with you, I will share with you the same explanation that I shared with hottie husband...

"I quit. I don't want to see Dr. "Can-You-Fix-Crazy" anymore. She made me mad, so I quit her."

Hottie huband: "Okay...are you going to tell me what she did to make you mad and warrant such behavior?"
Me: "Sure, and I am certain that you will totally side with me."

Hottie Husband: "I'm all ears, my dear..." (generally when he uses the term "my dear" it means that he most likely isn't going to side with me..)

Me: "Well, on Monday I was at lunch with a friend at Panera Bread, and Dr. "Can-You-Fix-Crazy" was there. When I got up to leave I walked right by her and I smiled and said, 'Hi Doc!' and she totally acted like she didn't know me! She barley said 'hello' and then she severed eye contact with me!"
Hottie husband: "Bets, I think she has to do that, honey. I think it's a confidentiality thing...she was respecting your privacy."

Me: "Privacy? Are you kidding me? I'm on the world wide web hottie husband!! There is NO privacy with me!"
Hottie husband: "That is a very true statement, but I think you are being a little too sensitive."

Me: "Whatever!"

Now...before all of you, dear readers, begin to side with hottie husband...there is a happy ending to this story....
Therapist number six! She comes highly recommended AND.....
Wait for it.....

She is a Christian counselor!!! Today was my first session and I honestly left the session asking, "where has this woman been all my life?!" I've spent one hour with her and already I know that this is the best thing that I've ever done for myself! She shed so much light on my life in that short hour than all previous five therapists have shed in the fifteen years I've been working on mental health!

Christian counseling is different from secular counseling because Christian counseling rises to another dimension... Christian counseling seeks to carefully discover the areas in which a Christian may be disobedient to the principles and commands of Scripture and to help that person learn how to lovingly submit to God's will. Christan counselors see the Bible as the source of all truth...there is a lot of practical wisdom in the Bible about human nature, marriage and family, human suffering, and so much more. By using biblical concepts in counseling, Christian counselors can instruct people in the way they should go and also hold them accountable. Psalm 119:24 says, "Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors."
I am SO excited about my new Dr. "Can-You-Fix-Crazy!" In fact...I'm calling this one Dr. "I'll-Restore-Your-Soul-And-Give-You-Peace!"

I plan on using the wealth of wisdom and sound judgment that will be shared with me by my new Christian counselor to enhance my marriage, my spiritual journey and my mental healing.

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment