Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"A Change Would Do You Good"

For those of you who do not know, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy about six months ago. According to my neurologist Epilepsy is very common, however most people are born with Epilepsy...it is very rare to be diagnosed later in life (particularly in your 30's). What is Epilepsy?? Epilepsy is a common chronic neurological disorder characterized by recurrent unprovoked seizures. These seizures are transient signs and/or symptoms of abnormal, excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain (please hold back on the jokes)! So, what does this mean for me?? CHANGE! To begin, I had my license taken away back in October when I had my first seizure so I have been completely dependent on anyone with four wheels and a valid license. I was also told that alcohol is not a smart choice. That was hard to swallow (no pun intended) as I love to have the occasional glass of wine with my dinner or after I've put my kids to bed. Okay, Okay...the occasional glass of wine is still okay according to doc...but my Thursday night socials are not. In the beginning I pouted...I stomped my feet...I slammed the doors...I cried myself to sleep...that was almost six months ago...

Fast forward to present...

I truly believe that my diagnoses was a message from the good Lord above. I think God looked at my life and thought, "A change would do you good" and so my story begins...

My marriage is absolutely the best it's ever been...my husband and I have spent more time together recently than we have in the ten years we have been married. He has been my rock (and my driver). :) I am more focused at my job and the success is really starting to show (I'm really proud of my New York trip). My relationships with my family is stronger as I have really had to rely on them for support (and rides). :) But most of all, this change has forced me to step back and take a look at my own life and ask myself what I want to be, where I want to be and how I want to be. I've started a spiritual journey and I'm working on strengthening my relationship with God and trusting in Him more. It's really been amazing!!

Don't get me wrong...it's still very tough for me...not being able to drive and having to rely on everyone has been really difficult (in fact, yesterday I had an appointment with my neurologist and I really thought he was going to give me my driving privileges back but he didn't...he's not quite ready...we are shooting for April 30th now and I had a little melt down). BUT...I see the good...I realize it's all part of a plan that He has for me.

So...thank you to my friends and to my family (especially G&B and D..you know who you are)! But most of all...thank you to the big guy above!! :)

*As a side note...if you would like to be a part of the "Driving Miss Betsy" crew, let me know...I'm always looking for rides! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment