Sunday, June 13, 2010

All Part Of His Plan...

The past few weeks I've said this, over and over...

"Why did I have to get melanoma?  Why do I have to battle this?"

The past few weeks I've heard this, over and over...

"God has a plan..."

This morning, I witnessed God's plan.

Both my husband and I excepted Christ in our hearts a little over a year ago.  We were baptized together in May of 2009.  The following December, our oldest son Hayden made the same decision and he too was baptized.  Just a few short months after Hayden's decision, our youngest son Benjamin turned his life over to Christ and was baptized....

...and then there is our middle son, Jack.  Jack marches to the beat of his own drum...he's on what we like to call "Jack" time.  We had asked Jack several times if he was ready to make the decision to accept Christ into his heart and be baptized...he said he wasn't quite ready.  Of course he believes in God, he knows God is the only way to heaven, but Jack wanted to make sure he knew exactly what it meant to be "saved" and the significance of the baptism.

So we have waited...patiently, I might add...because those that know me, know that I am an "instant gratification" kinda gal.  But I never, we never, pushed Jack into the decision...we wanted him to make it all on his own...

...We continue our journey through life...and BAM!  I am diagnosed with skin cancer for the seventh time!  This time it's not just "skin cancer", as it has been before...this time it was melanoma...much more serious.  There would be surgery to cut out the melanoma, there would be high concentration of radiation to the areas, there would be much needed rest and recuperation...

...and then God stepped in. 

...Several families within our church got together and created a "scholarship" for our boys to attend a Bible camp during the week of my radiation.  A camp where my boys, who have never been away from their parents for more than a night or two, would stay for six nights and seven days.  A camp where they would experience God for themselves, not just because mommy and daddy believe.

I rode down to the camp with my bestie Linda (Caraline's mother) and we unpacked the boys in their assigned cabin, put together their bedding for the week and drove away...admittedly I was hesitant to leave them...this wasn't a new experience just for the boys, but a new experience for their mama as well.  I worried about all the things any mother would worry about...

...will they make friends?, will they be scared?, will they sleep well?, will they shower and wear clean underwear? (okay, maybe that's just the OCD in me...but it was a true fear).

...I didn't hear from my boys all week.  I prayed they would be having a great time!

Yesterday Linda picked my boys up from camp and brought them home to me.  Two little tan boys emerged from Linda's car, wearing the same clothes we dropped them off in (I now know that they wore the same outfits the majority of the time and only showered twice all week!  Eeek!) and ran up to me to give me hugs and kisses...

...and then Linda said, "Jack, tell your mom what happened at camp."

"I was saved.  I accepted Jesus into my heart!"  Jack smiled.

I can't describe to you the joy that my heart felt.  This was huge!  This was Jack's timing...but it was God's timing too...

...and this morning, after the sermon, my little Jack went before the church and shared with our pastor his decision.  And next week Jack will be baptized.

...and now all the Dudenhoeffer's are walking the faith journey together.

....Do you see what I see?

...I was diagnosed with melanoma.

...several families from our church step forward and send our boys to Bible camp to help me through my treatments...

...Jack experiences God on his own...

...Jack is saved.

I can't help but be a little bit thankful for my diagnoses...

....It's all part of His plan.


Jack (black shirt) and Benjamin (gray shirt) with a friend they made at camp!

3 comments:

  1. I just screamed awesome! And the girls are sleeping...well, one of them is. I am so excited to see what all else God does through this. This is so do-able for you guys and your support system is huge...heck, its now all the way in KC too! Sooooooooo happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for Jack. I remember accepting Christ at about that same age. I was baptisted at the old original First Baptist Church. Yes I am a convert. But hey it's all the same God.
    As for a blogger lunch, I'd love to see a blogger convention. I just don't want to be the ring leader.
    How you have a better week this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did they go to Turkey Hill?! I went there as a child and loved it....and also got "saved" while I was there - I learned what it meant to accept Jesus Christ and had a lot of amazing experiences there!

    ReplyDelete