Thursday, October 1, 2009

Idolatry....

Sunday's sermon was crucial for me and my walk with Christ.  The subject was idolatry and how idolatry is a sin.  I have never considered that it might be a sin, idolatry in this day in age is so effortless.  Honestly, the first thought to enter my head was the popular television show, "American Idol." 

Idolatry is defined as the worship of idols; the worship of images that are not God.

The definition seems heavy to me, I wouldn't say that I "worship" anyone or anything other than Jesus Christ.  But the idea of idolatry does make sense to me, and quite frankly I do believe that I am guilty of "idolizing" people. 

For example, I might idolize Oprah.  I have people in my life that I "idolize."  I have placed these people on a pedestal, raised them up high.  Guess what happens...I end up loosing confidence in myself, thinking that I can never truly be a Christian because I will never be "as good" as the people I have raised up. 

I struggle with sin.  I have sinned in the past, but I have been forgiven by Jesus Christ.  I still sin...I sin on a daily basis...everyone sins on a daily basis.  We all fall short, every single day.  A sin is a sin, is a sin.  There are no "big" sins or "little" sins.  Sin is sin. 

I struggle with that.  Do you want to know why I struggle with sin?  Because I idolize people.  Does that make sense to you?  No?  Allow me to explain.

There are three people I am thinking of right now.  Three people in my life that I have placed high on a pedestal, three people that I look at and I think "I can never be as good of a Christian as they are."  Therefore I place doubt on myself as well as limitations.  Idolatry is dangerous...

Even further...what happens when the people that I have placed high on a pedestal, the people that I "idolize" disappoint me?  I'll tell you what happens...it hurts.  I begin to think there is no hope for me as a Christian...it's confusing and it distracts me from what I should be focusing on...Jesus. 

Sunday's sermon was crucial for me as a Christian...I have learned that I should not rely on others to bring me fullfillment....I should rely on the only thing that can fulfill me....and that is Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment