Saturday, July 14, 2012

All I Needed Was A Little "Faith"...

...it's been so long since I have posted a new entry! I am hoping to get back into the habit of daily blogging, I really do enjoy writing/journaling.

I'm not sure where I should begin...I'm not really even sure if I should begin in the beginning...but I think I will start by saying much has transpired in my daily life the past several weeks. I apologize for being so vague, but the details of what I've been walking in are not important...it's the teachings and the outcome that are to be shared.

I am growing each and every day and trusting that what I thought was a setback, God is preparing for a setup. ....

My circumstances have changed in the past few weeks, allowing me to be available to help out with vacation Bible school at my church. A volunteer was needed to help with a nine year old little girl that has Down Syndrome. Faith is a vibrant, beautiful and very smart girl and when the word was out that she needed an aid for the week I jumped at the opportunity.

I met Faith on Monday for the first time. Sitting at the lunch table in the fellowship hall, she wore purple glasses and her smile revealed pink braces (I knew from that moment that we would be best friends, pink is the signature color of GREAT people!)  ;)

...I sat next to Faith and said, "Hi Faith! I'm Betsy, you and I are going to spend a lot of time together this week! I'm really excited to get to know you!" Faith smiled at me and said, "Ok." I could tell that there was a shyness about her, but anyone who knows me knows that you cannot be shy around me! ;)

As the lunch crowd was clearing out, Faith and I made our way to the sanctuary where the Sports Crusaders team was waiting to begin basketball camp. Roughly thirty kids, ages 6-10 sat in the middle of the room, all sharing their adventures of the day, out talking one another....the noise level was at an all time high! Faith walked right up to the group of children and sat down, patting the space beside her to indicate she wanted me to sit with her. I sat down and she leaned against me....she already had found trust with me.

Immediately two little girls scooted over towards where Faith and I sat and introduced themselves to Faith. Faith looked at me, a smile so big it must have made her little cheeks sting! ....I was witnessing unconditional love....two sweet little girls that saw beyond Faith's disability....something rare in our world today.

The afternoon was full of various basketball technique workshops and fun recreational activities....and I watched Faith interact with the other children, carefree and full of joy. When the other kids had taken up all the basketballs, leaving none behind for Faith, she patiently waited for her turn...never doubting that she would have a chance to show off her dribble (and she practiced very hard on her dribble so that by the end of the week she was a pro!)...

Each day I was greeted by Faith with her gorgeous smile and a hug so tight that it filled my heart more and more with a love that can only burst from the seams, making me glow!

....last night as I lay in bed I was overwhelmed by emotion....I realized that God blessed me with Faith...He used this precious little girl to show me patience, obedience, boundaries, letting go of control and  forgiveness.....all things that I struggle with at the age of thirty-eight, but witnessed this past week in this strong nine year old little girl.

All I have needed in this trial that I am walking through is....Faith. Faith in the spiritual sense, and Faith in the nine year old, angel on Earth sense.  :)

This past week's experience has helped me to discover that all of our trials are individually tailored for us. They alone - in the way we experience them - are necessary to equip us with what we need to inherit Eternal Life!

“Faith, mighty faith, the promise sees, And looks to God alone; Laughs at impossibilities, And cries it shall be done.” ~ Charles Wesley

1 comment: