Thursday, April 7, 2011

Living Like Nobody Else...

I'll begin by stating that I ADORE my hottie hubby!

Hottie Hubby is the ULTIMATE gift giver! Truly...he ALWAYS puts so much thought into my gifts. In the thirteen years we have been together, I can't remember a time that I wasn't served breakfast in bed on my birthday...with heart shaped pancakes to boot!

...It's only natural (not selfish at all) that yesterday, on my 37th birthday I was a bit confused when the alarm went off and hottie hubby was snoozing in the bed next to me....

Ummmmmm, where is my breakfast in bed???

The thought occurred to me that typically I'm not a "morning" person, I'm the type that lays in the bed moaning and complaining about how tired I am for forty-five minutes...so hottie hubby probably expected the same morning "ritual" and was fully prepared to jump up with the alarm and assemble my breakfast in bed while I fussed....

....but the alarm had gone off....and hottie hubby was still snoring....

oooooohhhhhhhhhh, I get it...he wants me to shower first and while I'm showering he will put together my B&B and I'll be served while feeling all comfy and cozy in my pink fuzzy bathrobe, smelling of rose petals and vanilla...

....but when I got out of the shower....hottie hubby was STILL asleep....

Ummmmmmmmm....okay.....

*heavy sigh*

Suddenly I perked up....I get it! I bet there's a BIG surprise waiting for me upstairs!! Something like BK Bakery, fresh, hot muffins...or cinnamon coffee cake....ooooohhhhh, maybe even cannolis!!

I sprinted up the stairs and into the kitchen, still dark from the early morning but just enough illumination from the overhead stove light that I could see the silhouette of something GRAND on the kitchen table!! As I grew closer I could see a card and my excitement increased....

I placed the card to the side and quietly examined the treasure in front of me....

....Cadbury Chocolate Eggs....awesome, they are my favs!

.....Russell Stover Mint Chocolate squares....AMAZING, how did he ever find these?? I haven't had this indulgence in years!! He loves me SO much...he KNOWS they are my ABSOLUTE FAV....

....AND..........

....Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

..........huh?

........WHAT?.....

......Ummmmmm....what the????

......is this a??????

IS THIS A????

...............

...........TURKEY ROASTING PAN??????!!!!!!!!

I stood.......dumbfounded.

Silent.

There MUST be an explanation...I grabbed the card....I was sure the answer was inside....

....blah, blah, blah, blah....love you....blah, blah, blah, blah...make me happy....blah, blah, blah, blah....life wouldn't be anything without you....blah, blah, blah...

WHERE DOES IT EXPLAIN WHY THERE IS A TURKEY ROASTING PAN ON MY KITCHEN TABLE?!????

Calmly (who am I kidding...there was no calm) I entered the master bedroom...how convenient, hottie hubby was in the shower....I pulled back the shower curtain, exposing hottie hubby as he rinsed the shampoo from his hair...

Squinting with one eye opened he boasted, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY!!"

Me: "Right...okay, let's just cut to the chase....ummmm....is that a turkey roasting pan upstairs?"

Hottie Hubby: (very excited) "YES!"

Me: "....okay. (deep breath) ...and is the turkey roasting pan my birthday gift?"

Hottie Hubby: (still excited) "Yeah, baby! You said you wanted one!"

Me: "ummmmmmmmmm, no.....no, I never said I wanted a turkey roasting pan for my birthday...."

Hottie Hubby: (excitement is dwindling a bit) "You said you wanted that 'Paula Dean' stuff from Target..."

Me: "Yes....yes, I did say I wanted the 'Paula Dean' stuff from Target...but that was for a 'hey, it's Wednesday and I really love and appreciate you' kind of gift....NOT a BIRTHDAY gift!!"

Hottie Hubby: "Well....it's a really nice roasting pan...."

I shut the shower curtain and walked away....mama always said "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".....

Honestly, at this point I was CERTAIN that it was a joke....I was POSITIVE that at some point in the day, River City Florist would show up at my office with a HUGE bouquet of pink tulips (they are my FAV!) and hottie hubby would drive up in his chariot (or Chevy Impala that I wrecked the day before) and sweep me off to my favorite restaurant for lunch....

.....I waited ALL day for the florist....

...he never came....

As I was driving home at the end of the day it all became clear to me....I was going to walk into our home and all of my family, friends....everyone that loves me would jump out and yell "SURPRISE" and my birthday would be saved!!

I braced myself for the level of enthusiasm that was surely about to unleash....

...but the boys were in the back yard playing with the neighborhood children...

.....and hottie hubby....

....hottie hubby was in our bedroom, laying on our bed...."resting his eyes"....

By now you should know that I'm a big baby....and you know what?....I don't care if you think I'm a big baby....I pouted....

yeah....you heard me....I stomped my feet, I slammed my things around....I huffed and I puffed and I acted like a five year old....

Hottie hubby opened his eyes...with a big smile he exclaimed, "there she is! There's our BIRTHDAY girl!!"

I rolled my eyes...

Hottie hubby got up and walked over to me with his arms outstretched....

....backing away I snapped (in a rather snotty way)..."whatever!"

Confused, hottie hubby stood, still offering open arms...."honey? what's the matter?"

It was almost comical....I mean, really?? Did he really not know what I was upset about??

Me: "seriously??? are you SERIOUS??? YOU GAVE ME A TURKEY ROASTER FOR MY BIRTHDAY?!?!????"

Hottie Hubby: "Baby....sweetheart....come here (wrapping me in his hottie arms)...princess, do you really not understand why I bought you a turkey roaster for your birthday?"

Me: (on the verge of tears) "no.....no, I really don't understand..."

....and then he said it....

the one phrase that explained it all....

Hottie Hubby: "Honey, we are living like nobody else, so we can LIVE like NOBODY ELSE...I bought you a practical and needed birthday gift. Dave Ramsey would totally approve...babe, we are so close to becoming debt free...okay, so this year I bought you a turkey roasting pan....but next year....maybe next year we will go on a cruise!.....do you understand?"

....and suddenly, my birthday became the BEST birthday I've EVER had!

Hottie hubby and I enrolled in Financial Peace University at the beginning of the year...working towards being debt free has brought us closer than ever! The communication and the "teamwork" has changed our marriage....

...it all made sense.

And I LOVE my new turkey roasting pan!

....I can't WAIT for hottie hubby to cook me a turkey!  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment