Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Happy Heart, My Restful Soul...

It's amazing what over twenty inches of snow can do for your heart...


Monday afternoon I returned home from work and it was the last time I set foot outside of our home for FOUR days (five if you count today, I have no plans on leaving the house today)!  Four days confined to 1500 square feet is a LOT of "quiet" time...(did I mention that my boys were at their aunt and uncles for the week?), countless hours for a mind to toss and turn...


...in the deep hours of the nights I found myself restless, so I soothed my soul with words from a few of the books on my "must read" lists, books of encouragement, books of faith, the Bible...


and as I soaked in beautiful scripture, the words of my Father, His disciples and the wisdom in the Psalms, I came upon a verse that created new reflection within my heart...

Psalm 62:1 "My soul finds rest in God alone: My salvation comes from Him."

I whispered the words...over and over until I could close my eyes and whisper the words from deep inside, not needing the print in front of me...I whispered the words until they became engraved on my heart, forever.


What does this scripture mean to you? Do you find comfort in these words? Does this verse stir your heart and move your soul?

For me, this verse posed the question, "where does my happiness, my rest, come from?" A loaded question, for sure.  If I'm going to be honest with myself (and with you) I would admit (selfishly so) that for as long as I can remember my happiness and my rest comes from what people think of me, how I look, material possessions, people that need me...all things that in the end will fail me. 


...but I am finding more and more within my Christian life, that my happiness and rest comes from Him.  He, who will NEVER forsake me, NEVER leave me, NEVER fail me...


My desires to please people are lessening...but my desire to please my God...it's growing!  I've discovered much happiness and rest in my passionate walk with Christ, my thirst for His knowledge and wisdom, setting a Christ-like example to my family and my friends. 


My snowed in sagacity is that I don't need your approval, your adulation...

...because I'm walking with Christ, and my soul finds happiness and rest in Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment